WordPress Website Best Strategies
It is highly recommended to do monthly web maintenance on your WordPress website. All websites are vulnerable to security risks so keeping your plug-ins up to date, as well as adding new features can enhance the security of your website. Database management is a MUST. Without backing up your data it could be lost! Here is a simple checklist of maintenance items to cover monthly:
1. Make sure that the core WordPress installation is up to date. You can enable automatic updates for this if you are using the Wordfence Security plug-in. Update all of your installed plug-ins as needed. Again, if using the Wordfence security plug-in, you will be notified when an update is available. Also check and see if there are any updates available for your theme. This is all available on your WordPress dashboard under updates.
2. Remove any spam and dead links. Check out your contact form entries and empty the spam folder. If you are using Contact Form 7, this is under the Flamingo plug-in>in-bound messages. Sometimes legitimate contact inquiries get marked as spam so it is always a good idea to check this. If you have deleted or moved any pages, make sure you link it to the new content.
3. Make sure that your site database is backed up routinely. There are numerous plug-ins for this as well and can offer peace of mind if anything were to happen to your site. Depending on how often you update your site, you can set this to run daily, weekly or monthly.
4. Check your website traffic and be aware of any traffic spikes or drops. You can also use your traffic as a way to gauge popular content and use it as a marketing tool.
In addition to monthly updates, there are a few security measures you should implement often as well:
1. Change passwords. For security purposes you should update this often.
2. Minimize users. Delete any users that are no longer active.
3. Delete unused plug-ins and themes.
4. Test your contact form to ensure it is working properly.
By implementing the above checklist items you can keep your website running smoothly and efficiently!